Food52 |
- 13 Celebratory Chicken Recipes for Rosh Hashanah
- How to Shop For Cheese, According to An Expert
- 10 Best Air Fryers for Crunchy Fries & Creamy Pasta (Yes, Really)
- How to Make Filling & Flavorful Dinners in $2.50 (or Less!)
- 4 Steps to an (Almost) Bug-less Garden
- What You Need to Know About the Latest Recall of McCormick Spices
| 13 Celebratory Chicken Recipes for Rosh Hashanah Posted: 29 Jul 2021 11:10 AM PDT I grew up a Korean-American Presbyterian girl in New York's lower Westchester county, in a town that was predominantly Irish and Italian-Catholic, but was also home to many Jewish-American families. I will always credit my best friend, Liz, who lived next door, for being my gateway into a lifelong exposure of Jewish culture: lighting candles on Hanukkah; accompanying her to temple where we'd chase each other (instead of her going to class); cracking up over Mel Brooks movies on our sleepovers; her trying to teach me to read Hebrew; and how my first teaching job out of college was at a Hassidic preschool in Stamford, Connecticut. As Morah Caroline, I taught children how to make challah, led brachas before meals, and kept Kosher in my professional life (while downing non-kosher everythings at her nearby apartment after work). The memories of being an "honorary member" of a Jewish family remain truly some of my happiest, and still make for the best times as an adult, right down to having a hora at my Korean-Presbyterian-Taiwanese-Colombian-Catholic wedding! |
| How to Shop For Cheese, According to An Expert Posted: 29 Jul 2021 11:00 AM PDT That Cheese Plate is a column by Marissa Mullen—cookbook author, photographer, and Food52's Resident Cheese Plater. With Marissa's expertise in all things cheddar, comtĂ©, and cruditĂ©—plus tips for how to make it all look extra special, using stuff you probably have on hand—we'll be crafting our own cheesy masterpieces without a hitch. This month, Marissa is sharing how to make the most out of shopping for cheese. Shopping for cheese can be an intimidating process. There are countless styles to choose from, wide price ranges, different milk types, and many countries of origin. In my years of cheese plating, I've learned to always invest in good cheese, specifically cheese from a farmstead or small-batch dairy farm. Typically at these smaller operations, the animals are treated sustainably, and the cheesemaking process isn't completely mechanically produced. The cheese is the base of your creation, acting as the founding flavors to build pairings upon. With high-quality cheese, the sensory experience is much more impactful. |
| 10 Best Air Fryers for Crunchy Fries & Creamy Pasta (Yes, Really) Posted: 29 Jul 2021 10:00 AM PDT Sometimes I wonder what I did before I had my beloved air fryer. It comes in clutch when I want crunchy fries, veggies, chicken wings, and even croquettes when I'm feeling fancy. And in an unexpected twist, it also makes creamy plates of pasta, which is music to my carb-loving heart. Plus, nothing else can crisp day-old leftovers like I just made it. Is anyone else getting hungry yet? The magic is that the countertop-friendly appliance rapidly circulates hot air down and around food, which cooks and crisps food in an absolute flash. But not all air fryers are the same—some are more small-space friendly while others can feed a family of four. The two things they all have in common though is that you're guaranteed a plate of crunchy, crispy, delicious goodness and that you won't be able to quit using it. |
| How to Make Filling & Flavorful Dinners in $2.50 (or Less!) Posted: 29 Jul 2021 07:00 AM PDT I'm always looking for a good deal. I buy my clothes from resale sites and my glassware at antique stores—and before the pandemic forced us to eat at home every night, I regularly opted to make dinner instead of dropping $40 at a restaurant. This penchant for thrift often led me towards recipes that slant on the cheap side, but I discovered that most budget-friendly recipes simply don't suit my lifestyle: hefty casseroles and pastas to serve a large family (I live in a two-person household); cheaper cuts of meat swapped in for thicker chops to make a big, meaty entree (I rarely eat meat, and when I do, I don't want it to take over my meal); and ingredients purchased in uber-large quantities (my apartment has minimal storage). While these styles of recipe are indeed helpful to many, to find recipes I like and save money, I decided to take matters into my own hands in the form of a monthly recipe column called Nickel & Dine. Every one of these recipes makes at least four servings, and will run you about $10 in total—that's just $2.50 per serving! |
| 4 Steps to an (Almost) Bug-less Garden Posted: 29 Jul 2021 05:30 AM PDT "Something is eating my so-and-so plant, what should I spray?" is a question I get asked… very often. My answer is always short and rather brusque: "Nothing, before you know what you're up against." There are almost one million insect species in the world but only three percent of them are viewed as pests. Indiscriminately treating anything that visits your garden plants in search of food or shelter with a wide-spectrum insecticide does more harm than good, because it kills everything that crawls and flies, including beneficial insects and the pollinators we need so badly. It's also a waste of time, effort, and money—plus, it can create a health hazard for humans and pets. |
| What You Need to Know About the Latest Recall of McCormick Spices Posted: 28 Jul 2021 08:40 PM PDT Salmonella concerns are back, and this time you should check your spice cabinet. You're used to hearing about recall alerts when it comes to romaine lettuce, salad mixes, baby carrots, and other fresh produce. But less often do you hear about salmonella outbreaks when it comes to dry, packaged goods like spice blends. But it's 2021 and here we are. On Tuesday, July 27, McCormick announced a voluntary recall of three popular seasoning blends: McCormick Perfect Pinch Italian Seasoning, McCormick Culinary Italian Seasoning, and Frank's RedHot Buffalo Ranch Seasoning. At this time, no illnesses have been reported in connection to the salmonella outbreak. From Our Shop "McCormick has alerted customers and grocery outlets to remove the product with the affected date codes from store shelves and distribution centers immediately, and to destroy this product in a manner that would prevent any further consumption," the company said in a statement. The affected products were shipped to 32 states across the United States, as well as Bermuda and Canada, between June 20th and July 21st. |
| You are subscribed to email updates from Food52. To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now. | Email delivery powered by Google |
| Google, 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, United States | |





No comments:
Post a Comment