Monday, April 25, 2022

Food52

Food52


How to Open a Coconut Safely

Posted: 25 Apr 2022 10:50 AM PDT

I wish I could tell you that I learned how to open a coconut while I was vacationing in Tahiti, or that I first cracked one open out of thirst-quenching necessity after a day spent surfing Oahu's North Shore. But I've never been to Tahiti, and I immediately run toward shore at the first sign of a 5-foot wave. No, I actually learned how to crack open a coconut in my kitchen, through trial and error, after being lured by a full stack of whole coconuts at the grocery store. I had grabbed one and placed it in my cart nonchalantly, hoping my fellow shoppers would catch a glimpse (you're lying if you say you don't glance sneakily at other people's carts) and think I was the kind of cool person who consumed fresh coconut as often as a piece of toast. This is real, this is me. Narrator: It was not real. Let's learn how to open a coconut together.


How to Open a Coconut

Step One

Locate the "three eyes" on the top of the coconut. Stare at the coconut and watch as it stares back at you. Use a metal skewer to poke and prod the eyes like an optometrist and find the one that feels the softest; once you do, push the skewer through to create a hole. You may need to use a mallet or hammer for added pressure, but do so carefully.

Read More >>

Our Easiest Dessert Recipes Only Need 5 Ingredients (or Fewer)

Posted: 25 Apr 2022 10:00 AM PDT

When it comes to dessert recipes, it's all too easy for ingredient lists to become very long, very fast. Most of the time, they can't help themselves. Take this yellow layer cake with chocolate frosting for instance. There are a dozen ingredients—and most of those are non-negotiable: flour, sugar, butter, eggs, baking powder, vanilla…

But not every dessert is like this.

Read More >>

8 Cult Favorite Publix Bakery Items

Posted: 25 Apr 2022 09:10 AM PDT

There's a lot to love about Publix beyond its heartwarming holiday commercials and the famous subs. The supermarket's bakery is, bar none, one of the best in the country (at least when it comes to grocery stores), presenting rows of freshly prepared pastries, cakes, pies, and cookies that would give Betty Crocker herself a run for her money.

While you really can't go wrong with anything the Southern chain has to offer, there are sugary stand-outs worthy of a little extra love and publicity. Check out our list of eight must-try confections that we simply can't get enough of.

Read More >>

This Frozen Coffee Is as Quick as Instant Coffee (But It Actually Tastes Good)

Posted: 25 Apr 2022 09:00 AM PDT

For someone who lives and breathes food and beverage, I am certifiably not a coffee snob. I own zero coffee equipment, have no caffeine routine, and have never made coffee at home. It's not that I don't like stuff, I'm just deeply un-fussy about it. Pass me the $1 bodega brew or even that $7 latte (thanks, NYC)—I'm fine with either. Until about a month ago, having to go out for coffee hadn't been an issue; I'd been working in person or was at school where a cup of Joe was never too far away. Now that my job is mostly remote, I've been looking for a low-lift way to have coffee at home without having to invest any money, or precious storage space, in equipment. Enter Cometeer.

Cometeer is basically excellent, instant coffee. It's not instant in the usual way, either—it's brewed and flash frozen in capsules. I pop the frozen pod in a mug and pour in 6oz of boiling water for hot coffee, or leave it in the fridge overnight and mix the melted coffee with milk for an iced latte situation the next morning. It's ready in literally seconds. For those who have invested precious storage space in coffee equipment, Cometeer's capsules even fit into Keurig. Pour a melted pod over vanilla ice cream for an affogato, or add it to a milkshake—whatever you feel like!

Read More >>

Fennel Is, Without a Doubt, Our Favorite Spring Herb

Posted: 25 Apr 2022 08:00 AM PDT

Every week we get Down & Dirty, in which we break down our favorite unique seasonal fruits, vegetables, and more.
 
This week we’ve got fronds on the brain—fennel fronds, that is. You can find fresh fennel year round, but it really peaks during spring. Once you get your hands on fennel, you’ll probably be taken by the pleasant, anise-like aroma and then immediately think to yourself: “Okay…but what do I do with this?” Because as cool as fennel is to look at, and as lovely as it smells, it’s not the most common herb to cook with. Adding crushed fennel seeds to meatballs? Duh! But roasted fresh fennel wedges as part of a weeknight meal? Can’t say that’s exactly in my repertoire. 
 
So if you want to start cooking with fennel, we’ll go over what to look for when selecting fennel, how to store it, and how to use every part of the plant from bulb to stalk to fronds—and more! Licorice haters fear not, there might be hope for you and fennel after all.
 

What to Look For

First things first: select small to medium-sized white fennel bulbs that are heavy and firm with bright green feathery fronds. Avoid bulbs that are really large, have moist spots, or appear shriveled and dried out. If there are brown spots, leave the fennel on the shelf. Bulbs and stalks should be free of cracks, splits, and any discoloration or bruising.
 
The fennel you buy at the market is also known as bulb fennel, Florence fennel, or finocchio, though due to its similar flavor, it sometimes gets confused with anise. Fact: anise is an entirely different plant, but the two do come together to flavor absinthe. (Think about that the next time you sip one of these.) 
 
As for fennel seeds, you’ll find those with other dried spices. For reference, they’re a little bit bigger than chia seeds but smaller than cardamom pods. You can use them whole or crush them in a mortar and pestle so they’re more powder-like, removing some of the texture while highlighting their pungent earthy flavor.
 

How to Store Fennel

Similar to carrots, if you’re storing fennel in the fridge, you’ll want to separate the stalks from the bulb and store the two parts separately in plastic bags. Because of the delicate nature of the fronds, they tend to go bad more quickly than the bulbs. For a non-plastic-encased option, try storing fennel upright in a cup of water on the counter like a bouquet of flowers. Either way, try to use your fennel within a few days—any more than that, and it starts to lose flavor.
 

Root-to-Stem Dining

Like celery, the entire fennel plant can be consumed—there’s a ton of flavor in every part of it. Here's how to make the most of every last bit.
 

Bulb 

If you’re still craving comfort foods, try roasted fennel on a flatbread, paired with celery in a gratin, or with braised potatoes. To roast fennel, cut the bulbs lengthwise, cut out the core, and slice it as thin or thick as you like. Toss the fennel with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast in a 425℉ over for 25 to 30 minutes. Spring can’t come fast enough? Then use your fennel bulb in a Greek salad or a shaved salad with celery. If you're not a fan of licorice, ease yourself into fennel's charms by roasting it. Pair it with couscous, or blend it into this white bean dip; roasting fennel will bring out its sweetness and soften its flavor.

Stalks

According to The Barbeque! Bible, you can dry fennel stalks in the oven to preserve them. Just remove all fronds, and arrange the stalks in one layer on a baking sheet. Bake them at 200°F for 3 hours, then turn off the heat and let them hang out in the oven overnight to finish drying. Mark Bittman suggests grilling fish on the stalks (keep the fronds attached for this one, or use your just-dried stalks), and they can also be used to make broths, infused oils, or in place of celery in dishes.
 

Fronds

Chop up the fronds and use them like you would other fresh herbs. They're lovely in a pesto, an egg or potato salad, or as a garnish, like on this soup.
 

Seeds

You’re probably familiar with seeing fennel seeds in sausages and stews (those “seeds” are actually fruits, but everyone refers to them as seeds). Aside from using them in crackers or a genius cabbage recipe, their subtle licorice flavor and nuttiness can even serve as a zippy breath freshener!
 

Pollen

It may be a little more elusive, but fennel pollen has some diehard fans. It's been said that “If angels sprinkled a spice from their wings, this would be it.” Sold yet? The pollen can be sprinkled on meat and fish, paired with mushrooms, or even with ice cream. Look for it in specialty stores or online, or if you have fennel in your garden, you can let it go to seed and collect your own: be patient, forgo harvesting the bulbs, and you'll be rewarded with sunny yellow pollen-filled flowers. If you want to be truly wild, go foraging.

There are so many more ways you can use fennel and all of its parts. What's your favorite way to eat it?

This article was updated in April 2022 by our editors, who wanted to show off their love for fennel again.

Read More >>

11 Chicken Appetizers That Are the Life of the Party

Posted: 25 Apr 2022 07:22 AM PDT

When the Super Bowl, March Madness, or World Series is on TV, I'm not paying attention to the game. There's only one thing that has my undivided attention and that's the snacks. And what's a game day spread without chicken wings, tenders, and potstickers?

Of course, these chicken appetizers have a life outside of the arena. Serve a platter of chicken meatballs for a holiday happy hour or make a batch of chicken nachos for a casual get-together with friends.

Read More >>

How to Wash a Down Comforter (Because It’s Probably Time)

Posted: 25 Apr 2022 05:30 AM PDT

My favorite room of my home is, by far, my bedroom. I spent weeks deliberating furnishings, wood tones, and a few pieces of lovely, affordable art. I also landed on a thick, cozy area rug, a big arm chair, and the most exquisite secondhand mirror to accent it all. But what I really splurged on were my percale sheets, matching duvet cover, and the most cloud-like comforter imaginable to make the place where I lay my head at night the happiest place to be.

I was pretty diligent about keeping this oasis of calm and comfort neat and tidy, too: I dusted and vacuumed and stripped my bed each week. There was one item, however, that had escaped my cleaning routine completely. Many many months after I bought it, my comforter hadn't made it down to the laundry room. That is, until the day I found out that even with a cover on, a down (or alternate down) comforter is a magnet for allergens, dust, dander, even skin cells (oh, my).

Read More >>

No comments:

Post a Comment

guest post needed

Hi I hope you're doing well. I'm reaching out to discuss the possibility of publishing articles on your website. Along with guest ...